Top Image Mesa County Home
Planning Division
Administrative Reviews 

  • Types of Applications

  •  Accessory Dwelling Units

    Routinely referred to as a "mother-in-law" apartment, an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) is a living unit added to, created within, or detached from the principal dwelling that provides basic requirements for living, sleeping, eating, cooking, and sanitation.  The term accessory denotes a use that is commonly understood to be one that is subordinate in size, location, and function to the principal unit. 

    In unincorporated Mesa County, ADUs are allowed upon site plan approval in residential single-family zoning districts on parcels or lots of land greater than 6,500 square feet.  The minimum size for an ADU is 300 square feet of heated living space. The maximum size may vary depending on the size of your property and the location of the ADU on the property.  One ADU shall be allowed per parcel.  Either the Principal or Accessory Dwelling must be owner occupied.

     Administrative Adjustments

    Administrative Adjustments are modifications to any numeric standard set out in Section 4.4 and Chapter 6 of the Land Development Code, except those related to building height, residential density, and non-residential intensity.

     Agricultural Labor Housing
     Commercial Site Plan

    Commercial Site Plan Approval, also known as a Short Form, is used to approve interior remodels, facade improvements, or the addition of small accessory buildings such as a shed to a commercial use.  Changes of use may also be approved using a short form application.  More significant changes to a commercial property or use, such as those that result in a need for for more parking, additional floor area, or an increase in outdoor storage, are reviewed through the Minor Site Plan or Major Site Plan (see definitions below) processes. 

     Extinguishment of Utility Easements

    To extinguish an existing utility easement

    Application Contents:

     Floodplain Development Permit

    A Floodplain Development Permit is required to determine the specific flood hazard at a site, and to evaluate the suitability of the proposed use in relation to the flood hazard.  The Floodplain Development Permit process is described in Section 3.9 of the Land Development Code.  Contact the Floodplain Administrator for more information.

     Home Occupations

    Some types of work can be conducted at home with little or no effect on the surrounding neighborhood. The Home Occupation regulations are intended to permit residences to engage in Home Occupations, while ensuring that the activity will not be a detriment to the character and livability of the surrounding area. The regulations require that the Home Occupation, an accessory use, remains subordinate to the allowed principal use of household living, and that the residential viability of the dwelling unit is maintained.

    Home Occupations are approved through the Minor Site Plan (see definition below) process and must meet the standards of Section 5.3.6 of the Land Development Code.

    Exempt Home Occupations

    Certain Home Occupations may be considered Exempt and only require registration if the use does not have more than 10 client/customer visits per week; does not have non-resident employees visiting the site; does not have outdoor activities or storage on the site; and does not involve the storage of hazardous materials or waste.

     Major Site Plan

    Major site plans are required before issuance of a Building Permit, as described in Section of the Land Development Code.  Examples where a major site plan would be required include a change in use where the building area is proposed to expand more than 50%; expansion of an existing use more than 50%; and new uses on vacant land, including multi-family development.

    Application Contents:

     Minor Site Plan

    Minor site plans are applications that require a lesser review than a Major Site Plan, as described in Section of the Land Development Code.  Examples include expansion of an existing use or building less than 50%; changing from one use to another; temporary uses; annual events; and alteration of drainages.  A Site Plan may be required before issuance of a Building Permit.

    Application Contents:

     Residential/Agricultural Site Plan

    A Planning Clearance is required for development of all new residential or agricultural land use, and for additions and alterations to existing buildings.  A Planning Clearance is not required for accessory buildings (sheds) that have a footprint of less than 120 square feet, for flat work such as at-grade patios, or for fences less than 6 feet tall.

     Sign Permits

    Sign Permit regulations are intended to promote traffic safety and protect the visual appearance of the County. Chapter 8 in the Land Development code is dedicated to all of these regulations.

     Stormwater Construction Permit

    The Stormwater Construction Permit process is described in Section 3.19 of the Land Development Code.  Contact the Stormwater Administrator for more information.

     Stormwater Construction Permit Variance

     The Stormwater Construction Permit Variance process is described in Section 3.20 of the Land Development Code.  Contact the Stormwater Administrator for more information.

     Temporary Use Permit
    Temporary uses are those that are short in duration.  Typical Temporary Uses include seasonal outdoor sales such as pumpkin patches and Christmas tree lots; parking lot sales; and special events such as carnivals and festivals.   Temporary uses must meet the requirements of Section 5.4 of the Land Development Code, and are approved as Minor Site Plans (see definition above) .

     Written Interpretations
    Anyone may submit a request for a Written Interpretation of specific provisions of the Land Development Code.  A Pre-ApplicationMeeting is required.  The process for review and evaluation of a request for Written Interpretation is described in Section 3.14 of the Land Development Code.

Mesa County Logo with Text  Follow Us On  
Facebook Icon   Twitter Icon   Email Icon 
        Mesa County Home           Comments/Feedback          Copyright/Disclaimer/Privacy           Webmaster