Top Image Mesa County Home
Planning Division
Frequently Asked Questions 

  • Please click on the questions to view the answers

  •  Can I build a fence?

    Yes.  However, fences over 6 feet in height must meet setback requirements and require a Planning approval and a BuildingPermit.  No fence, regardless of the height, can block sight distance on roads or driveways.

     Can I build a second house on my property?

    Whether building a second home or a mother in law suite, these are both to be considered an accessory dwelling unit within our code.   Please contact us with your address or tax parcel number to discuss the process to apply for an accessory dwelling unit permit.

     Can I deed a portion of my lot to my kids?

    This is considered a subdivision of land. Please see, Subdividing Land.

     Can I subdivide my land?

    Maybe. Property may be Subdivided if you meet certain criteria in the Land Development Code and other county regulations. Determining the process you will need to go through requires a little research.  We will check the parcel’s history for previous subdivisions, zoning and acreage.  The length of time you’ve owned the property and whether it is on a county maintained road are other factors in determining which process may be used.  We will set up either a pre-application or general meeting with a planner to advise you on the regulations and details about the process.

     Do I need a permit for a shed?

    The Planning Department requires a Planning Clearance for sheds greater than 120 square feet.  The Building Department requires a building permit for sheds greater than 200 square feet, and for any structure that is connected to utilities, regardless of size.

     Do I need a permit for an Agricultural Building?

    Yes.  The Planning Division requires a Planning Clearance and verifies that the proposed structure complies with development standards such as setbacks.  The Building Department also requires a building permit.  Agricultural buildings are those that are used for activities or storage of materials and equipment related to agricultural uses, and that are not connected to any utilities, i.e. electrical service.  If a building will have utility connections, a different type of building permit will be required. 

     Does the County have jurisdiction over my property?

    Some parcels are in the municipalities and some are in the County. You can check the Mesa County Consolidated Zoning Map or call us with the address or the tax parcel number.

     How can I make a complaint?

    Mesa County Code Compliance Services is complaint-driven. This means that a signed complaint must be filed with our department in order to begin the Code Compliance process. Please see Code Compliance Services for a Complaint Form and other information.

     What are setbacks?

    Setbacks are the required distance between a building or structure and your property lines.  All structures must meet  setback requirements,  whether or not  they need a  building permit. MesaCounty  setbacks may be different from other communities or the setbacks listed in your homeowners association’s covenant.

     Setbacks Image

     What are the setbacks on my property?

    Refer to the Setbacks and Site Plan Instructions for setbacks and other development standards.  If you do not know the zoning for your property, contact the Planning Department at 244-1636 and we will help you find that information.

    Property Setback Image

     What can I do on my property?

    Table 5.1 of the Land Development Code specifies uses allowed in each zoning district and indicates what process is necessary for initiating those uses. Most uses require some type of Site Plan approval.

     What causes annexation into a municipality?

    Each city and town has its own annexation policies. For example, in 1998 the City of Grand Junction and Mesa County signed the Persigo Agreement, establishing the Persigo 201 Boundary. This is the area that can be served by the Persigo Wastewater Treatment Plant. The agreement describes what kinds of development in specific areas will cause annexation into the City of Grand Junction. If your project meets those criteria, the City and County have agreed that the City will take land use jurisdiction upon application and proceed with annexation.

     What if my lot is on the corner of two streets?

    Property with two street frontages are subject to all street setback requirements of the zoning district in which they are located.

     What is a General Meeting and what are they for?

    The purpose of the General Meeting is to establish proactive involvement and input by County Staff, the Applicant/Land Owner, and the Project Representative in the Major Subdivision Application process. Please contact the Planning Department to schedule your General Meeting today. Meetings will be scheduled approximately 2 weeks from the date you ask for an appointment.

     What is zoning?

    Zoning is used to guide future growth by delineating districts and establishing regulations that govern the allowed uses and placement of structures on properties for specific purposes (residential, commercial, industrial, etc.).  All parcels in Mesa County are zoned and regulated under a uniform set of regulations (Mesa County Land Development Code).  Development and construction must meet these criteria before being approved for construction or use.  Zoning protects the public by requiring neighboring properties to conform to the regulations of the zone district. You may look up the zoning on any Mesa County property on our Consolidated Zoning District Map. Or, you may contact us or visit the Planning Department.

     Why do you require pre-application meetings?

    All applicants will need to schedule a Pre-Application Meeting with Planning Staff. The purpose of these meetings is to inform the applicant of applicable procedures, submittal requirements, development standards, alternatives, and other pertinent matters before the applicant finalizes the development proposal.  Development Application forms are also made available during these meetings. Those interested in a Major Subdivision will need to schedule a General Meeting with Planning Staff.

Mesa County Logo with Text  Follow Us On  
Facebook Icon   Twitter Icon   Email Icon 
        Mesa County Home           Comments/Feedback          Copyright/Disclaimer/Privacy           Webmaster