Contact Information
200 S. Spruce Street
Grand Junction, CO 81501

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 20,000
Grand Junction, CO 81502-5001

Not finding what you're looking for?
Send us an email and we'll get back to 
you as soon as possible

Applications and Forms

Please click on the drop-down titles to view additional information

If you need to pay by credit card over the phone, please complete the Credit Card Authorization Form and email it to


Building Applications and Forms

Over the Counter Permit Application

If you would like your application processed with a credit card, please submit a completed Credit Card Authorization Form with your application to  

Note: For projects that require plan review, please use the Permit to Build Application.

Permit to Build Application

Checklist of Required Clearance Documents- Clearances required may change depending on jurisdiction and project.  Check with the Community Development department to ensure you gather the correct clearances. 

Septic System (OWTS) Forms and Applications

New OWTS Application- For new and replacement systems.

OWTS Clearance Application- for additional structures to a property with an existing system.

For more information on setbacks, soil evaluation requirements and other helpful information visit the Septic System page


Planning Applications and Forms

The below applications and forms are for projects in unincorporated area of Mesa County only.  If your project is located in Fruita, Palisade, DeBeque or Collbran please contact the appropriate jurisdiction.

When planning your project, please review the Setbacks and Site Plan Instructions to determine appropriate setbacks for your property.

To request a new address or change of address, please contact the Planning Technician at (970) 244-1686.

The Home Occupation regulations are intended to permit residences to engage in Home Occupations, while ensuring that the activity will not be a detriment to the character and livability of the surrounding area. The regulations require that the Home Occupation, an accessory use, remains subordinate to the allowed principal use of household living, and that the residential viability of the dwelling unit is maintained.

Exempt Home Occupations 

Certain Home Occupations may be considered Exempt and only require registration if

  • the use does not have more than 10 client/customer visits per week;
  • does not have non-resident employees visiting the site;
  • does not have outdoor activities or storage on the site; and
  • storage of hazardous materials or waste is not a primary use of the home occupation; and
  • quantities and types of hazardous materials stored on site cannot exceed that of normal household use. 

Home Daycare

Sometimes referred to as a "mother-in-law" apartment, an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) is a living unit added to, created within, or detached from the principal dwelling that provides basic requirements for living. For more information about ADU standards see Section 6.04.E of the 2020 Land Development Code

Required for development of all new residential or agricultural land use, and for additions and alterations to existing buildings. A Planning Clearance is not required for accessory buildings (sheds) that have a footprint of less than 120 square feet, for flat work such as at-grade patios, or for fences less than 7 feet tall.