Contact Information
200 S. Spruce Street
Grand Junction, CO 81501

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 20,000
Grand Junction, CO 81502-5001

Not finding what you're looking for?
Send us an email and we'll get back to 
you as soon as possible

Hot Topics

Please click on the titles to view additional information

According to the Colorado Depatment of Agriculture, "Industrial hemp means a plant of the genus Cannabis and any part of the plant, whether growing or not, containing a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) concentration of no more than three-tenths of one percent (0.3%) on a dry weight basis."

Mesa County does not regulate hemp businesses but does regulate the use of land used for the business and any structures on the property.  For more information about requirements by Mesa County Community Development please call our office.

Regulations governing the hemp industry in Colorado:

Currently, there are several state departments overseeing the various parts of the insustrial hemp industry. 

While every effort has been made to provide accurate information, it may not be all inclusive and may not be the most up-to-date information.  This information is not indended to provide legal advice. 

Tiny homes have quickly become an economical, fun option for housing, particularly for those that don't want to be tied down in one place.  But knowing where they are allowed and what is required to live in them varies by location. 

In Mesa County, we will ask one question... is it on wheels?

If the home is on wheels, it is still considered an RV and can be located anywhere an RV is allowed.  It cannot be connected to a septic system or sanitary sewer except in an RV park with establised hook ups or with the approval of the sanitary sewer provider. Power, if coming from a permanent structure is not allowed to cross property lines. 

If the home is NOT on wheels, it is a house.  It must have a building permit and meet all of the requirements of the Land Development Code and Building Code.  If it is located in a manufactured home park, it must be built to HUD specifications.


Vacation rentals offer an opportunity for homeowners to make additional revenue by renting out a portion or all of their home.  All vacation rentals in unincorporated ares of Mesa County are subject to restrictions as outlined in the Land Development Code. 

  • Vacation rentals must complete a Site Plan Review which will determine maximum occupancy based on number of bedrooms and parking spaces.  Depending on the facility and services provided, the home may be processed as a Bed and Breakfast.
  • Only permitted single-family dwellings, townhomes accessory dwelling units and owner-occupied duplexes may be vacation rentals.
    • Tents, recreational vehicles, temporary shelters and other provisions indended for temporary occupancy are not allowed as guest accommodations. 
  • The maximum length of stay shall be less than thirty (30) consecutive days.
  • Vacation rentals must meet Building Codes for life safety including smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors and no bedroom may be rented unless it meets egress requirements. 
  • All accommodations must have sanitary and bathing facilities available to guests and have one parking space per bedroom plus one additional parking space. 
  • Each vacation rental must have a local property manager or representative that is available at all times when the home is rented. The representative will be responsible for emergencies, conflicts and other issues that may arrise with the home or occupants.
  • The vacation rental is subject to all safety and health inspections, licenses, registrations, fees and taxes to which other licensed businesses or places of accommodations are subject.   
  • Failure to maintain compliance with the Land Development Code standards or if a vacation rental received more than three (3) formal, verified nuisance, health and/or safety complaints in a calendar year, the Site Plan approval may be revoked.