Which situation requires a verification of Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)?
DR 2698 form
- If the vehicle is titled in another state or country
- If your vehicle has a registration from another state
- Any vehicle transferred on Purged Bill of Sale
- Anytime the vehicle description needs to be corrected
- Military Registration
- Incomplete vehicles (cab/chassis with added bodies, motorhomes)
- Manufactured home simple search
Who can perform and complete the verification of VIN?
- County Clerk (at their discretion) - $15 fee
- Licensed Colorado Automotive Dealer
- There may a fee associated
- Dealers are only required to conduct a Verification of VIN when they take in an out of state vehicle on trade
- Manufactured Home Dealer (manufactured homes only)
- Licensed Colorado Emission Station
- County Assessor (at their discretion; manufactured homes only)
- Colorado Law Enforcement Officers:
Which situations require a Colorado Certified VIN inspection?
DR 2704 form
- Bonded title vehicles
- Rebuilt vehicles
- Reconstructed vehicles
- Kit vehicles
- Homemade vehicles
Who can perform and complete a Certified VIN inspection?
- Any Peace Officers Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) Certified VIN Inspector (typically Colorado State Patrol)
- This certification is granted to individual law enforcement officers only and not to a Law Enforcement Agency as a whole
Additional information for Vin inspections
- If your registration and title are from different states, we will need verification that the vehicle was not titled in the state where the registration was issued
- Each law enforcement agency may assess a fee for performing the Verification of VIN
- If you need a Certified VIN Inspection, please visit the Get a VIN Inspection website from the Colorado State Patrol.
- Certified VIN Inspections are $50