971 Coffman Road, Building B
Whitewater, CO 81527
P.O. Box 20,000
Grand Junction, CO 81502-5001
What Do We Do?
Backpack Spraying Weed Crew
Mesa County is dependent upon grants to fund a backpack spraying crew to control List A and List B noxious weed species for eradication. The crew uses backpacks to spot spray noxious weeds only, and does not have the capability to control large areas of weeds. If you have the need to control weeds, please see the list of commercial applicators licensed to spray weeds in Colorado.
Coordinate Control of Pests and Noxious Weeds
Work with public and private organizations and agencies to coordinate the control of pests and noxious weeds
Mesa County Noxious Weed Advisory Board
The Mesa County Noxious Weed Advisory Board, or “Weed Board”, consists of 5 members and 2 alternate members, the majority of which must own at least 40 acres of land. The board must consist of members from various areas of the county. The Weed Board meets approximately 4-6 times per year, as needed, to discuss budget, activities, concerns, oversee plans, etc.
Provide education and training
- Noxious weed identification
- Weed control
- Applicator safety
- Equipment calibration
- Identify noxious weeds through CSU Extension Master Garden Program / other resources
Recommend control measures through
- Integrated Pest Management
- Control roadside weeds with outside contractor (truck)
- Eradicate List A and List B high priority noxious weeds on private and County properties with seasonal backpack crew through grant funding
- Map roadside weeds using GPS and ARCMap
Roadside Weed Spraying
Mesa County currently contracts out for Roadside weed spraying, which occurs from April through September. If you do not wish to have the county right-of-way roadside along your property sprayed for general and noxious weeds, please contact the Mesa County Weed & Pest Coordinator at (970) 255-7121 or email@example.com Please include information on your property’s address, and your name and phone number. You will also need to mark your property roadside boundaries with orange flagging, annually if no spray is desired.
It is your responsibility to control the weeds on your property
What we don't do
- Control overgrown weeds in residential areas
- Mow weeds on private property
- Remove / mow weeds on roads (Please contact us for information)
- Offer cost share at this time