Contact Information
200 S. Spruce Street
Grand Junction, CO 81501

Mailing Address
Department 5022
P.O. Box 20,000
Grand Junction, CO 81502-5001

(970) 244-1636

Not finding what you're looking for?
Send us an email and we'll get back to 
you as soon as possible

Applications and Fees

The new Mesa County Customer Portal is Live!

How to apply online

Our new customer portal is now live! To submit a new Planning Project, Right-of-Way, Construction Stormwater or Driveway Permit, Code Compliance Violation or to view your current projects and permits follow the link below.

NOTE: Building Permits are not currently accepted electronically. 

Begin by visiting the Mesa County Customer Portal.

Please review the Planning Project Submittal- Mesa County Customer Portal Guide or the Permitting- Mesa County Customer Portal Guide for guidance in submitting a new project request.  If you would like additional assistance, please contact the Mesa County Community Development Department at (970) 244-1636 or by email at

All projects must meet setbacks for the property. Setbacks and Site Plan Instructions

When planning your project, please review the Setbacks and Site Plan Instructions to determine appropriate setbacks for your property.

To request a new address or change of address, please contact 970-244-1636.

New address application  

The Home Occupation regulations are intended to permit residences to engage in Home Occupations, while ensuring that the activity will not be a detriment to the character and livability of the surrounding area. The regulations require that the Home Occupation, an accessory use, remains subordinate to the allowed principal use of household living, and that the residential viability of the dwelling unit is maintained.

Exempt Home Occupations 

Certain Home Occupations may be considered Exempt and only require registration if

  • the use does not have more than 10 client/customer visits per week;
  • does not have non-resident employees visiting the site;
  • does not have outdoor activities or storage on the site; and
  • storage of hazardous materials or waste is not a primary use of the home occupation; and
  • quantities and types of hazardous materials stored on site cannot exceed that of normal household use. 

Home Daycare

Sometimes referred to as a "mother-in-law" apartment, an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) is a living unit added to, created within, or detached from the principal dwelling that provides basic requirements for living. For more information about ADU standards see Section 6.04.E of the 2020 Land Development Code

A Residential Site Plan application is required for:

  • development of all new residential land use,
  • for additions and alterations to existing buildings,
  • for an addition of an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU),
  • to utilize all or a part of the primary structure or ADU as a Short-Term Rental (nightly rental).

An Agricultural Site Plan application is required for all agricultural structures including (but not limited to):

  • Shops
  • Barns
  • Greenhouses
  • Sheds
  • Detached Garages
  • Change of Use
  • Solar

A Planning Clearance is not required for accessory buildings (sheds) that have a footprint of less than 120 square feet, for flat work such as at-grade patios, or for fences less than 7 feet tall.

Other Forms / Information