200 S. Spruce Street
Grand Junction, CO 81501
P.O. Box 20,000
Grand Junction, CO 81502-5001
Not finding what you're looking for?
Send us an email and we'll get back to
you as soon as possible
Applications and Fees
With the exception of the four projects types below, please request a Pre-Application Meeting utilizing the Electronic Application System OnBase.
All projectes must meet setbacks for the property. Setbacks and Site Plan Instructions
To request a new address or change of address, please contact 970-244-1636.
The Home Occupation regulations are intended to permit residences to engage in Home Occupations, while ensuring that the activity will not be a detriment to the character and livability of the surrounding area. The regulations require that the Home Occupation, an accessory use, remains subordinate to the allowed principal use of household living, and that the residential viability of the dwelling unit is maintained.
Exempt Home Occupations
Certain Home Occupations may be considered Exempt and only require registration if
- the use does not have more than 10 client/customer visits per week;
- does not have non-resident employees visiting the site;
- does not have outdoor activities or storage on the site; and
- storage of hazardous materials or waste is not a primary use of the home occupation; and
- quantities and types of hazardous materials stored on site cannot exceed that of normal household use.
Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU)
Sometimes referred to as a "mother-in-law" apartment, an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) is a living unit added to, created within, or detached from the principal dwelling that provides basic requirements for living. For more information about ADU standards see Section 6.04.E of the 2020 Land Development Code.
Residential and Agriculture Site Plan
A Residential Site Plan application is required for:
- development of all new residential land use,
- for additions and alterations to existing buildings,
- for an addition of an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU),
- to utilize all or a part of the primary structure or ADU as a Short-Term Rental (nightly rental).
An Agricultural Site Plan application is required for all agrciultural structures including (but not limited to):
- Detached Garages
- Change of Use
A Planning Clearance is not required for accessory buildings (sheds) that have a footprint of less than 120 square feet, for flat work such as at-grade patios, or for fences less than 7 feet tall.
Other Forms / Information
- Building Permits - Building Department Permit Requirements and application
- Code Compliance - Citizen Complaint Process
- Request for Address Assignment or Change
- Septic Systems - Mesa County Public Works On-Site Waste Treatment System
- Soils Information Request Form
- Floodplain Permit or Variance- Floodplain Management
- Stormwater Construction Permit or Stormwater Construction Variance- Stormwater Management