Contact Information
200 S. Spruce Street
Grand Junction, CO 81501

Mailing Address
Department 5022
P.O. Box 20,000
Grand Junction, CO 81502-5001

(970) 244-1636

Not finding what you're looking for?
Send us an email and we'll get back to 
you as soon as possible

Frequently Asked Questions

Please click on the titles to view additional information

Yes.  However, fences over 6 feet in height must meet setback requirements and require a Planning approval and a Building Permit.  No fence, regardless of the height, can block sight distance on roads or driveways.

Whether building a second home or a mother in law suite, these are both to be considered an accessory dwelling unit within our code.   Please contact us with your address or tax parcel number to discuss the process to apply for an accessory dwelling unit permit.

This is considered a subdivision of land. Please refer to the "Can I subdivide my land" section..

Maybe. Property may be Subdivided if you meet certain criteria in the 
Land Development Code and other county regulations. Determining the process you will need to go through requires a little research.  We will check the parcel’s history for previous subdivisions, zoning and acreage.  The length of time you’ve owned the property and whether it is on a county maintained road are other factors in determining which process may be used.  We will set up either a pre-application (see the "Why do you require pre-application meetings?" section) or general (see the "What is a General Meeting and what are they for?" section) meeting with a planner to advise you on the regulations and details about the process.

The Planning Department requires a Planning Clearance for sheds greater than 120 square feet.  The Building Department requires a building permit for sheds greater than 200 square feet, and for any structure that is connected to utilities, regardless of size.

Yes.  The Planning Division requires a Planning Clearance and verifies that the proposed structure complies with development standards such as setbacks.  The Building Department also requires a building permit.  Agricultural buildings are those that are used for activities or storage of materials and equipment related to agricultural uses, and that are not connected to any utilities, i.e. electrical service.  If a building will have utility connections, a different type of building permit will be required. 

Some parcels are in the municipalities and some are in the County. You can check the 
Mesa County Consolidated Zoning Map or call us with the address or the tax parcel number.

Mesa County Code Compliance Services is complaint-driven. This means that a signed complaint must be filed with our department in order to begin the Code Compliance process. Please visit the Code Compliance Services website for information on filing a Complaint Form.

Setbacks are the required distance between a building or structure and your property lines.  All structures must meet  setback requirements,  whether or not  they need a  building permit. MesaCounty  setbacks may be different from other communities or the setbacks listed in your homeowners association’s covenant.

What are setbacks example

The Land Development Code, Chapter 5, Table 5.1  specifies uses allowed in each zoning district and indicates what process is necessary for initiating those uses. Most uses require some type of Site Plan approval.

Each city and town has its own annexation policies. For example, in 1998 the City of Grand Junction and Mesa County signed the Persigo Agreement, establishing the Persigo 201 Boundary. This is the area that can be served by the Persigo Wastewater Treatment Plant. The agreement describes what kinds of development in specific areas will cause annexation into the City of Grand Junction. If your project meets those criteria, the City and County have agreed that the City will take land use jurisdiction upon application and proceed with annexation.

Property with two street frontages are subject to all street setback requirements of the zoning district in which they are located.

Zoning is used to guide future growth by delineating districts and establishing regulations that govern the allowed uses and placement of structures on properties for specific purposes (residential, commercial, industrial, etc.).  All parcels in Mesa County are zoned and regulated under a uniform set of regulations (Mesa County Land Development Code).  Development and construction must meet these criteria before being approved for construction or use.  

Zoning protects the public by requiring neighboring properties to conform to the regulations of the zone district. You may look up the zoning on any Mesa County property on our Consolidated Zoning District Map  or  contact us  for additional information.