Development Engineering

Palisade Orchard with Mt. Garfield in the background

In order to safeguard life, health, and property and to promote the public welfare, the practice of engineering and land surveying in Colorado is subject to State regulation. It is unlawful for any individual to practice professional engineering or land surveying in Colorado, unless such individual has been duly licensed. The practice of professional engineering and land surveying is deemed an individual privilege and granted by the State of Colorado through education, testing and experience.

Mesa County employs Professional Engineers and Surveyors in the  Engineering and Surveying Division so as to provide proficient and qualified project evaluations and consultations. As Professional Engineers and Surveyors, we hold paramount the safety, health and welfare of the public and to this we strive to ensure that private developments meet the required statutes, laws and standards.

As Professionals, we apply our education, training, experience, and the application of special knowledge of the principles of mathematics, methods of measurement, engineering sciences and the law in the determination and preservation of land boundaries and in the development and functioning of engineering works.

We provide construction document review, execute and extinguish agreements and project management. Our reviews, management, and consultation uphold the code of ethics to which we are bound and are issued only in an objective and truthful manner.

A key goal is to support the professional engineer and surveyor in achieving competence and prestige in the discipline of their profession and to assist the community in the development of these projects.

We welcome walk-ins.

Please click on the titles to view additional information


Teddy Martinez Mesa County Development Engineer
(970) 255-5035  


Pursuant to Colorado Statute, C.R.S. §30-28-137 and the Mesa County Land Development Code, prior to final plat approval, the County must require a developer to either install all required public and private improvements in accordance with approved improvements construction plans or enter into an agreement with the County to install such improvements, and that the developer’s obligations to install such improvements must be secured by a guarantee. The two options for this agreement is a Development Improvements Agreement or an Agreement to Commence Construction Prior to Final Plat Approval.


DIA Brochure

Sample Development Improvements Agreement

Sample Agreement to Commence Construction Prior to Final Plat Approval

Sample Warranty Guaranty Agreement

Sample DIA Extinguishment Checklist

Construction Cost Spreadsheet

A Driveway Permit is required for the construction of any new driveway which will access a Mesa County Right of Way.

  • You will be required to illustrate the location of the proposed driveway on the permit form and to flag the driveway location on your property.
  • Please allow 10-15 working days after we receive the completed permit form for processing of the permit

Visit the Planning Department - Electronic Permitting System to submit the permit


The Mesa County Road Access Policy  has been adopted to guide the access permitting process of Mesa County Roads.

 Access Permits are required to:

  • To protect the public health, safety, and welfare;
  • Maintain smooth traffic flow;
  • Maintain road right-of-way drainage, both present and future;
  • Balance the interests of private property owners with the public safety and public investment;
  • Protect the capacity of the public roads and the public investment while meeting state, regional, local and private transportation needs and interests


For more information, see the  Preliminary Access Location (PAL) brochure or contact Transportation Planner Dan Sundstrom at (970) 255-5051

Driveway Permit

If the applicant is requesting a driveway (access) and the property lines are not changing (ie Subdivision or Property Line Adjustment) or the use is not changing, then the applicant may apply for a Driveway Permit. This is initiated at the Planning Counter at Mesa County Central Services- 200 S. Spruce Street, Grand Junction, CO 81501.