Skip to main content

Purpose of the committee

Mesa County Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC)

Works with the community to identify industrial hazardous materials and keep the community informed of the potential risk.

All companies with certain types and quantities of hazardous chemicals must report annually to the LEPC through the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment reporting system.

The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requires companies that meet the criteria to report it. OSHA also requires your company to keep a Safety Data Sheet (SDS, formerly Material Safety Data Sheet, or MSDS) on file for any chemicals stored or used in the workplace and that the chemical(s) is stored in quantities equal to or greater than the Threshold Planning Quantity (TPQ) for that chemical.

The public is encouraged to participate in the process.

LEPC - Hazardous Materials Plan

Contact the Mesa County Emergency Services Division at 970-244-1763.

Four people stand in front of a large white board with their backs to the camera as a woman writes on the board in orange marker.

Meeting Schedule

The Mesa County LEPC meetings.

Meeting information:

Second Thursday of every month

12:00 pm -1:00 p.m.

Ute Water Conservancy District Board Room 

2190 H 1/4 Road, Grand Junction, Colorado

Are the meetings open to the public?

You are welcome to attend. Please call to confirm the meeting time.

Meeting Minutes 

Online resources

Tier II reporting

Submit Tier II reports

Colorado Environmental Online Services website from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.

Frequently asked questions

Can I obtain a list of chemicals used and stored in Mesa County?


Facilities that store, use, or manufacture hazardous materials at or above specified quantities are required to report these materials annually.

Information on materials stored at a specific facility in Mesa County may be obtained by filing a written request to:

Grand Junction Fire Department

Hazardous Materials Coordinator

330 South 6th Street

Grand Junction, Colorado 81501

How do I properly dispose of household quantities of hazardous materials?

Mesa County Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Facility

Mesa County Landfill

3071 Highway 50

Grand Junction, Colorado

Accepts materials, free of charge, from Mesa County residents

Material Accepted

  • Aerosol cans
  • Antifreeze
  • Automotive products
  • Garden and hobby products
  • Gasoline
  • Gun powder
  • Herbicides
  • Household and auto batteries
  • Household cleaners
  • Insecticides
  • Motor oil
  • Paints
  • Pesticides
  • Solvents
  • Spa and pool chemicals
  • Syringes
  • Wood stains

Materials Not Accepted

  • Ammunition
  • Biohazards
  • Radioactive materials
The Mesa County Landfill provides a safe and affordable disposal and recycling option for small businesses which are Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators [CESQG] in Mesa County.

This fee-based program will require each CESQG to register with the Mesa County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Program.

For additional information about this program:

What would I hear discussed at an LEPC meeting?

The committee regularly conducts reviews of facilities in Mesa County about the storage, manufacture, and use of hazardous materials.

The committee, with the facility operator's participation, considers the following:

  • Impact of a hazardous material release
  • Emergency procedures
  • Anticipated actions of emergency response agencies

The committee also discusses the transportation of hazardous materials in Mesa County, amongst other outreach and education topics.

What should I do if I witness the abandonment, illegal disposal/dumping, or release of a hazardous material?

Call 911

Contact Us

Committee Contact Information


Mailing Address:

Mesa County LEPC

C/O Mesa County Emergency Management

P.O. Box 20,000 - 5016

Grand Junction, CO 81502-5001

Ben Hoffman - Co-Chairperson

Ute Water Conservancy District

Water Treatment Plant Superintendent


Phone: 970-464-5563

Mason Klahn - Co-Chairperson

Mesa County Health Department

Emergency Response and Preparedness Specialist


Phone: 970-683-6681

Nikki Dalpiaz - Secretary-Treasurer

Ute Water Conservancy District

HR / Risk Specialist


Phone: 970-242-7491