Insurance Requirements for Motor Vehicle Department
Insured driver database
CRS 42-7-604, requires the State of Colorado to contract with a provider to develop and maintain a database of insured vehicles. Any insurance company that writes vehicle liability policies in Colorado is required to report new policyholders and canceled policies at least monthly to the provider.
CRS 42-3-105 (1) (d) (I). This law, effective July 1999, states that the County Clerk and Recorder Office shall not register a motor vehicle unless the applicant has a complying motor vehicle insurance policy pursuant to part 6 of article 4 of title 10, CRS or a certificate of self-insurance in full force.
You must provide proof of insurance if:
- Indicated on your renewal postcard, or
- To renew your registration you must provide proof of Colorado insurance.
Proof of insurance
Mesa County Motor Vehicle must verify insurance with one of the following items to register a vehicle:
- Current insurance card for the vehicle
- Insurance policy, declaration or binder
- Letter from the insurance provider on company letterhead
- Proof of self-insurance for the vehicle or owner
Proof of insurance must include the following
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Effective and expiration dates