Permits for Public Works Divison
Frequently Asked Questions
How is a permit obtained?
- You can download them from our Permit Page.
- Some permits are available online in our Customer Portal.
- Come into our office.
200 South Spruce Street
Grand Junction, CO 81501
- Call Public Works Administration 970-244-1765.
When are permits required?
- Mesa County issues permits for ANY construction activities within the Mesa County Right of Way.
- Public Drainage Easements
- Rights-of-way and roads
- Gravel or paved
- Under the control and jurisdiction of Mesa County
- Permits are also required for the transportation of vehicles or loads.
- Exceed the legal load limit for size or weight
- Defined by The Colorado Department of Transportation
Questions or Problems with a permit application?
Annual Aerial Maintenance
Work which will impact the aerial space of Right of Way (overhead power lines, telephone lines, or fiber optic lines) you will be required to obtain a Permit.
Required if you will disturb one acre or more (≥1) OR less than one acre that is part of a larger common plan of development or sale.
Surface Alteration Permit
Work which will impact the surface of Right of Way (landscaping, sidewalks, curb and gutter, or improving an existing driveway) you will be required to obtain a Permit.
Underground and Utility
Work which will impact a Right of Way (installation, replacement or repair of any water, sewer, power, gas, telephone or fiber utility) you will be required to obtain Permit.
Technical Issues with Online Permit or Payment System?
Report any technical issues you encounter.
Mesa County IT Helpdesk