Skip to main content

The Consumer Protection Unit is primarily a referral agency. Our main objective is to refer you to an agency suitable to handle your complaint. Most complaints will not result in a formal investigation or the filing of criminal charges. There must be a provable violation of a criminal statute before filing of criminal charges will be considered.

Photograph of a book with Consumer Protection printed on the spine, sitting on a wooden desk, with gavel, pens, and other books in the background


  1. We will only accept complaints from alleged victims, no anonymous or third-party complaints, please.
  2. Any incident complained of must have occurred in Mesa County, Colorado.
  3. For this unit to most effectively help you, we suggest you try to resolve your problem with the business first. To do this we advise you do some of the following:
  • Call the business and try to work it out; most business owners are willing to try to make it right. Make note of the date and the time you called, to whom you spoke, and what was said or agreed to by you and the business owner.
  • If the business is unwilling to work it out, mail a certified letter, return receipt requested to the business. In your letter explain the problem, what you see as an acceptable solution, and state that you would appreciate a response by a specific date. If you do not receive a response within the time frame or if you receive an unacceptable response, then you are ready to file your complaint with the Consumer Protection Unit.

How to file a complaint

  1. Call the Consumer Protection Unit at 970-244-1730. You may be asked to leave a message with the unit. Please include your name, address, phone number & the name of the business you have a complaint against.
  2. Send your written complaint to: 

    Consumer Protection Unit
    21st Judicial District, District Attorney's Office
    P.O. Box 20,000
    Grand Junction, CO 81502-5031

Please include copies of all paperwork including any notes that you have made, the letter you sent to the business, and the proof of return receipt from the post office. Download a copy of the Complaint Letter and Form here:

Consumer Protection - Complaint Letter and Form

Consumer resources

Better Business Bureau or BBB File a Complaint  

Federal Trade Commission Consumer Advice 

US Gov - Reports Scams and Frauds 

Colorado Attorney General Consumer Complaints 

Nursing Home/Long Term Care/Resident Abuse Complaints 

Small Claims Case Information and Forms 

Identity Theft Assistance 

Having issues with a Licensed Professional (Doctor, Lawyer, CPA, Plumber), Insurance, Home Repairs, Civil Rights, HOA's, or Utilities?  Consider contacting the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies Consumer Protection.   

To file a complaint regarding new and used vehicle purchases through Colorado Auto Dealers, please see Colorado Department of Revenue – Auto Industry Enforcement Division for more information.  (Scroll down to their "Quick Links" menu.) 



Consumer news and information