Consumer Protection Information from District Attorney's Office
The Consumer Protection Unit is primarily a referral agency. Our main objective is to refer you to an agency suitable to handle your complaint. Most complaints will not result in a formal investigation or the filing of criminal charges. There must be a provable violation of a criminal statute before filing of criminal charges will be considered.
- We will only accept complaints from alleged victims, no anonymous or third-party complaints, please.
- Any incident complained of must have occurred in Mesa County, Colorado.
- For this unit to most effectively help you, we suggest you try to resolve your problem with the business first. To do this we advise you do some of the following:
- Call the business and try to work it out; most business owners are willing to try to make it right. Make note of the date and the time you called, to whom you spoke, and what was said or agreed to by you and the business owner.
- If the business is unwilling to work it out, mail a certified letter, return receipt requested to the business. In your letter explain the problem, what you see as an acceptable solution, and state that you would appreciate a response by a specific date. If you do not receive a response within the time frame or if you receive an unacceptable response, then you are ready to file your complaint with the Consumer Protection Unit.
How to file a complaint
- Call the Consumer Protection Unit at (970) 244-1730. You may be asked to leave a message with the unit. Please include your name, address, phone number & the name of the business you have a complaint against.
- Send your written complaint to:
Consumer Protection Unit
21st Judicial District, District Attorney's Office
P.O. Box 20,000
Grand Junction, CO 81502-5031
Please include copies of all paperwork including any notes that you have made, the letter you sent to the business, and the proof of return receipt from the post office. Download a copy of the Complaint Letter and Form here:
Better Business Bureau or BBB File a Complaint
Federal Trade Commission Consumer Advice
US Gov - Reports Scams and Frauds
Colorado Attorney General Consumer Complaints
Nursing Home/Long Term Care/Resident Abuse Complaints
Small Claims Case Information and Forms