Skip to main content

There are several things you can do when you believe your identity has been stolen

Immediate steps to take

File a report with the police/sheriff in the jurisdiction in which you live and get a copy of the report for the credit reporting agencies, banks and credit card companies. You can file the report at the police station or sheriff's office.

  • You can also complete the ID Theft Affidavit provided by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at

Promptly cancel each credit, ATM, debit card with your issuing bank, then:

  • Contact your financial  institution regarding suspected fraudulent activity.
  • Consider placing a Security Freeze or Fraud Alert on/in your credit reports.
Photograph of Computer monitor with Alert Identity Theft, yellow triangle with! in the center, and chain with lock wrapped around the monitor