Professional Standards Unit
About the Professional Standards Unit (PSU)
PSU is responsible for hiring, retention, training, and the integrity of the Mesa County Sheriff's Office.
Other responsibilities include:
- Managing complaint review
- Internal Affairs Investigation function
- Commendation process
- Professional law enforcement education
- In-service training for all employees
- On-going professional standards review and policy development
File a commendation or complaint
- To leave a confidential voice message, call 970-244-3539. Messages are typically returned within three business days.
- To send Thank You's or Complaints ONLY via email to email@example.com.
- To file a report, call 970-242-6707, and an on-duty deputy will assist you.
If you need immediate assistance, please call non-emergency dispatch at (970) 242-6707 and request to speak with a supervisor.
Interested in a career with us?
PSU manages required in-service training for both Operations and Detention deputies and advanced education for specialized instructors.
The unit manages approximately 14,000 training hours for over 260 employees annually.
The agency remains abreast of changing law enforcement legal and procedural issues, so we can keep our staff current.
Colorado Law Enforcement Training Center (CLETC)
How did the Facility Come to be?
The Colorado Law Enforcement Training Center (CLETC) was the vision of now-retired Mesa County Sheriff Riecke Claussen.
After Sheriff Claussen was term-limited out of office, Sheriff Stan Hilkey kept that vision in his sights, hosting a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the site in 2013.
During Sheriff Hilkey's tenure, a partnership was formed to create and maintain CLETC between:
- Colorado Mesa University
- The City of Grand Junction
- Mesa County Government
CLETC is an 80-acre training site featuring:
- 7/8 mile driving track with a 120' x 270' concrete skid pad
- 20' observation tower
- Two classroom buildings
- 23 lane shooting range
- Six vacant houses for simulations, breaches, etc.
- Fire training area
CLETC was built to serve all law enforcement agencies in the region.
Visit the CLETC website
For questions about the use of the track or to make a reservation.