Skip to main content

What can I do about junk in my neighbor's yard?

  • In Grand Junction, contact code enforcement at 970-244-1583.
  • In Fruita, contact the Fruita Police Department at 970-858-3008.
  • In Palisade, contact the Palisade Police Department at 970-464-5601.
  • In all other areas of Mesa County, contact Zoning Enforcement at 970-244-1744.

Do you have a lost-and-found? (I.E. wallets, cell phones, keys)

We do receive found property and make every effort to return it to the owner. It is kept for 90 days.

If you have lost something and wish to see if we may have it, send an email to that includes:

  • Your contact information.
  • Detailed description of the property.

Please allow at least 3 business days for processing.

What are the marijuana laws in Mesa County?

State of Colorado Public Health, Medical Registry, and Rulemaking Information

Visit the Marijuana page on the State of Colorado's Official State Web Portal to find resources.

Memorandum of Understandings

Definition of a MOU

Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) provides for the increased protection of persons and property on the public lands and roads administered by the United States Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management (BLM), through cooperation between the Mesa County Sheriff.

  • Both parties desire to cooperate in law enforcement.
  • Agree that such cooperation will result in both a reduction in response time and cost to the public.
  • Promote the welfare, safety, and enjoyment of visitors and residents.
  • Establish a consistent and uniform application of enforcement through the most efficient utilization of resources where they exist and are in place.
    • Eliminating unnecessary and/or conflicting duplication of effort.
    • Facilitating respective agency missions and responsibilities.

Memorandum of Understanding - Bureau of Land Management

Memorandum of Understanding - USDA Forest Service Region 2

How do I start a neighborhood watch?

The Mesa County Sheriff's Office currently does not facilitate the creation of neighborhood watch groups.

If you would like to learn more about starting a neighborhood watch yourself, visit the National Neighborhood Watch website a division of the National Sheriffs' Association.

Have you looked into the free online social network called Nextdoor? 

Visit the Nextdoor website to learn more about the service.

  • It is like Facebook, but just for you and your neighbors.
  • Many communities are using it as a digital neighborhood watch.
  • It includes features like reporting suspicious activity to the Mesa County Sheriff’s Office.

Is there a noise ordinance in Mesa County?

Yes. Noise ordinances prohibit unnecessary, unusual, and unusually loud noises during designated hours.

Law enforcement personnel are empowered to determine whether a particular noise constitutes a public nuisance.

If you would like to make a report:

Are parks open 24 hours a day?

  • Parks managed by Mesa County are closed from dusk to dawn
    • Except Long Family Memorial Park is closed from 11:00 p.m. - 5:00 a.m.
  • Parks managed by the City of Grand Junction are closed from midnight - 5:00 a.m.
  • Parks managed by the City of Fruita are closed from 11:00 pm - 6:00 a.m.
  • Parks managed by Palisade are closed from dusk to dawn.

Where can I dispose of prescription drugs?

What is the Public Safety Tax?

Mesa County voters approved Measure 1A, otherwise known as the Public Safety Sales Tax, in November of 2017.

The measure increased sales tax 0.37% throughout Mesa County effective January 1, 2018. The funds are divided  between 16 public safety agencies.  

The Mesa County Sheriff’s Office is allocated 67.29% of the 0.37% voter approved public safety sales tax.  

The Mesa County Sheriff’s Office is using the additional revenue to increase safety in the Detention Facility and reduce crime in Mesa County.

To learn more about tax revenue in Mesa County, visit the Sales Tax page on our Finance Department's website.