Skip to main content

The Hazardous Waste Collection Facility (HWCF) provides safe and affordable disposal options for residential and Very Small Quantity Generators’ hazardous waste.

New in 2023, the HWCF is now accepting household hazardous waste from residents who live outside of Mesa County. Fees do apply for all out-of-county waste. Please visit the Business Program webpage for a complete list of disposal fees.

Contact information and hours of operation

Phone: (970) 256-9543

Hours of operation: Wednesday - Saturday from 8 am to 4:15 pm

Accepted materials

  • Paint, such as latex, oil-based, spray paint, stain, craft and hobby paint
  • Ammunition
  • Fireworks and road flares
  • Automotive products, such as antifreeze, oil, gasoline, brake fluid
  • Batteries
  • Light Bulbs, such as fluorescent tubes, Christmas lights, HID bulbs
  • Garden products, such as insecticides, herbicides, fertilizers
  • Spa and pool chemicals
  • Cleaning products
  • Used syringes
  • Over-the-counter medications
  • Electronics, think "e" for entertainment, computers, stereos, tvs, video game consoles (Fees Apply)

Prohibited materials

  • Explosives other than ammunition and Class C fireworks
  • Radioactive materials
  • Bio-hazardous materials other than sharps
  • Controlled substances

Residential waste limits & fees

The following is a list of residential waste quantities that are accepted free of charge. Fees will apply when quantities exceed the limit. VSQG business and out-of-county wastes are accepted, but fees do apply. Please visit the Business Program webpage for more information. All out-of-county waste will be charged an out-of-county fee plus waste disposal fees.

E-Waste disposal is not free. The charge to drop e-waste is $0.80 per pound. There is a one-pound minimum charge on all waste streams.

Disposal and service fees

  • E-Waste - $0.80 per pound
  • Refrigerators/Freezers/Air Conditioners - $65 each
  • Broken/Leaking Container Processing Fee - $50 each
  • Drum Handling Fee - $25.00 each
  • Non-Hazardous Appliance - $10 each
  • Unknown Material HazCat Testing - $35 each
  • Chlor-D-Tect Test (performed on all motor oil disposals >30 gallons) - $50 each
  • Out-of-County Waste - $35 per visit
  • Other - TBD

Products for sale*

*Price does not include tax. Taxes applied at time of purchase.

  • Second life re-mixed paint (5 Gallons) - $47.50 each
  • Small Sharps container (1 Quart) - $12.35 each
  • Medium Sharps container (2 Gallon) - $17.10 each
  • Large Sharps container (8 Gallon) - $28.50 each
  • Bag of vermiculite (3.5 Cubic Feet) - $65.55 each
  • 5 gallon plastic bucket - $10.45 each
  • 6-mil poly plastic bag - $2.85 each
  • 55-gallon drum - $170.99 each

Residential waste limits

  • Aerosol/inhaler - 50 cans
  • Lead acid battery - 4 batteries
  • Batteries (alkaline, lithium, NiCad) - 5 gallons or 50 pounds
  • Corrosive (liquid, solid) - 15 gallons or 150 pounds
  • Flammable (liquid) - 50 gallons or 500 pounds
  • Motor oil/antifreeze - 50 gallons or 500 pounds
  • Oxidizers (liquid, solid, oxidizing nitrates) - 15 gallons or 150 pounds
  • Paint related materials - 40 gallons or 400 pounds
  • Pesticides, toxins - 10 gallons or 100 pounds

Tips for transporting hazardous waste

For your protection and the safety of others, it is important that all hazardous materials are safely transported to the facility from your home or business. Before bringing hazardous materials to the facility you should take the following actions:

  • Read all labels, paying careful attention to product dangers.
  • Never mix products unless instructed by label directions. Mixing products can cause dangerous chemical reactions.
  • Leave all hazardous materials in the original container.
  • Label all unlabeled or illegible containers.
  • Make certain lids and caps are tightly sealed.
  • Transport materials in newspaper or plastic-lined boxes. This will ensure that if a product leaks, it won't stain your upholstery.
  • Make sure there is adequate ventilation in your automobile.

Upon arrival at the facility, please notify the receiving technician if you:

  • Do not know what the material is
  • Have used syringes or needles

Right to refuse

Mesa County reserves the right to refuse any hazardous waste, including waste that is not properly segregated, packaged, labeled, or represented by the resident.

Hazardous Waste Collection Facility

Solid Waste Management Facility

3071 US-50
Grand Junction, CO 81503