The Mesa County Landfill provides residents with environmentally responsible and fiscally accessible waste disposal.
Contact information and hours of operation
Phone: (970) 241-6846
Hours of operation:
- Monday through Friday from 7 am - 4:45 pm
- Saturday from 8 am to 4:15 pm
Inclement weather closures
The safety of landfill customers and employees is our number one priority. If the landfill's working face is deemed unsafe due to high winds or lightning, the landfill will close. Conditions that generally cause an unsafe environment include:
- Sustained wind speeds of 25 miles per hour
- Gusts of 55 miles per hour
- Lightning within 10 miles of the landfill
During inclement weather closures, the site is continuously monitored, and safety conditions are assessed every hour. The landfill will re-open when safety concerns have subsided.
In the event of high wind or lightning, call (970) 241-6846 to check on the closure status of the landfill and associated waste disposal programs.
All loads coming to the Mesa County Landfill must be covered and secured despite the contents of the load.
Uncovered trash loads contribute to roadway litter and cause safety issues. Uncovered loads will be charged double - no exceptions! Additionally, the entire load must be covered and tightly secured. Loads covered by tarps that are shredded or loosely tucked into the vehicle are not considered covered and secured and will be charged double.
Appropriate cover includes:
- Tarp or cargo net
- Any material which covers the entire load and is securely tied to the vehicle.
Incoming loads must be tarped and secured before coming to the landfill. Loads cannot be tarped on or near the Mesa County Solid Waste Management campus.
The following waste is prohibited from disposal at the Mesa County Landfill:
- Hazardous waste
- Liquid waste
- Universal waste, such as fluorescent light bulbs, batteries, and electronic waste
- Appliances containing refrigerants, such as freon, propane, and ammonia
- Special waste not approved by the Regulatory Compliance Manager
- Out-of-county waste
We accept cash, checks, and credit/debit cards.
- Commercial hauler compacted trash - $37 per ton
- Commercial or residential hauler loose trash - $45 per ton
- Sludge - $27 per ton
- Screenings - $40 per ton
- Quartered or shredded tires - $100 per ton
- Bulk tires - $420 per ton
- Clean soil - Free
The minimum fee for all landfill disposals is $10.
- Mattress or box spring - $15 each
- Standard car or truck tire without rim - $5 each
- Standard car or truck tire with rim - $10 each
- Truck tire 20 inches or larger without rim - $10 each
- Truck tire 20 inches or larger with rim - $20 each
All special waste must be approved by the Regulatory Compliance Manager before coming to the landfill, and special handling fees apply. The Regulatory Compliance Manager can be contacted by calling the landfill at (970) 241-6846 or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contaminated soil - $50 per Ton
- Non-friable asbestos - $50 per Ton
- Friable asbestos - $60 per Cubic Yard
- Demolition debris - $45 per Ton
- Mobile home or pull behind camper >18' without a motor - $1,800 each
- RV with a motor - $2,500 each
- Minimum fee - $50 each
- 10 to 20 cubic yards - $100 each
- 20 or more cubic yards - $200 each
Landfill patrons who need assistance with waste pull-off or vehicle towing will be charged $50.