Skip to main content

We at Mesa County Animal Services believe that there is no place like home for every pet. However, pets get lost or injured and a Mesa County Pet License is the best way to get them home safely. In Mesa County, it is required that an owner license their dogs. In addition, both dogs and cats over four months old are required to have a current rabies vaccination. There is a fine for pet owners who are not in compliance with license and vaccination requirements. While not required, Mesa County recommends that all cats be licensed or wear identification.

How can I license my pet?

  • Mail: You can download and print out a copy of the application shown below. Once completed, mail that form to us along with a check or money order.
  • In Person: You can buy a pet license at our shelter, a participating licensing veterinarian or Roice-Hurst Humane Society.

How much does a license cost?

Mesa County requires that the date of expiration of a pet license can never exceed the expiration date of the current rabies vaccination. Based on that requirement, there are two different choices of pet licenses: $10 for an annual license and $25 for a multiple year license (up to three years). Once the expiration date criteria is met, the pet owner may qualify for both pet license options.

Mesa County developed the multi year licensing program with license/rabies vaccination coordinated expirations dates to make it easy for residents to comply with license requirements. Because most veterinarians also carry Mesa County licenses, the pet owner can take care of both purchases at the same, convenient location.

What are the benefits of a pet license?

  • Found pets with licenses can be reunited with their owner in a timelier manner. Often, a helpful resident will find a lost pet. If the pet is wearing a license, we will provide the good Samaritan with the information they need to return the dog directly home to the owner. Because most pets are lost and eventually found close to home, this process is convenient for both the finder and the pet owner. A lost pet with a license will often get a ride home rather than a ride to our shelter. If an animal services officer picks up a pet with a license , they will attempt to return the pet directly home or try to contact the owner to make arrangements for the pet to be returned. 
  • If a pet bites someone, he or she may be eligible for an in-home quarantine instead of a quarantine at our shelter or with a veterinarian. An in-home quarantine is more convenient and cost effective for the pet owner and more comfortable for the pet.
  • License fees support the operation of animal control services and the animal shelter. MCAS returns over 60% of lost dogs to their owners. This is considerably higher than the national average and is largely due to a database of over 22,000 licensed pets.

Please complete the License Application Form below for a Pet License and mail the form and payment to Animal Services. A License Tag will be mailed to you.  The mailing address is:  Mesa County Animal Services, PO Box 20,000-5002, Grand Junction, CO 81502.

Animal Services Request for License Application and Renewal