Skip to main content

We understand living situations change and loving pet owners may find themselves in circumstances where they can no longer care for their beloved pets. Start by reaching out to:

  • Rescues
  • Humane societies
  • Friends and family to find a good temporary or permanent placement for your pet.

However, if you are unable to find a new home for your pet, Mesa County Animal Services is here to assist you. Mesa County Animal Services typically houses sick/injured cats and dogs. Our facility is not equipped to accept livestock, wild animals or exotic pets from owners.

Mesa County Animal Services does not accept owned cats. Owned cats are referred to CLAWS, Roice-Hurst Humane Society or Grand Rivers Humane Society for relinquishment.

Relinquishment fees:

  • $35 per animal for the residents of Fruita, Palisade, Debeque and Collbran (the fee is waived for residents living within unincorporated Mesa County or the City of Grand Junction)
  • $75 per animal if you live outside Mesa County (Based on space availability and approval)

Every year, we rehome, transfer or reunite almost 3,000 displaced pets.

Process to relinquish a pet to Animal Services:

Please plan to spend 30 minutes with us for the assessment process so we can find the best placement for your pet. Please bring any documentation about training, veterinary visits, vaccination records or favorite toys.

Please do not abandon your pet!  Companion animals do not have the skills necessary to survive on their own. When they become scared or fearful, they can injure someone in their efforts to survive.